• Advertisement

My Australia Trip April 2015

เรื่องราวของต่างๆ...

Moderator: jerry-t

My Australia Trip April 2015

โพสต์โดย danapat » 07 พ.ค. 2015, 23:23

We started off in McLaren Vale and visit 2 wineries. After the tasting, afternoon we drove for 2 hours through a scenic drive to Barossa Valley. The next two days were devoted to tasting some of the best wines from Barossa. Here are the notes on our impression of the wineries and the wines we drank:

McLaren Vale:

D'arenberg
We were underwhelmed by most of the wines we taste here. Even the Dead Arms Shiraz and Coppermine Cabernet Sauvignon, which were some of my favorites in the past taste pale today. Luckily, The Other Side single vineyard Shiraz saves the day with classic rich flavors I expect from Shiraz. 4+ Stars

Mollydooker
It's my first time to taste almost the whole range from Mollydooker, and I can say it is a one of a kind experience. Even the entry wines were rich and impressive. Notable wines were '13 Blue Boys Shiraz (4? stars), '13 Enchanted Path Cab/Shiraz (4.5 stars) and '13 Carnival of Love (4.5 Stars). The latter twos wine show richness, sweet & lovely fruits, and creaminess that the best of Aussie wines has to offer.

Barossa Valley:
The Standish Wine Co
I was looking forward to visit this boutique winery, and the wines we taste were even better than my expectation. Dan Standish, a 6th generation winemaker, guides us thru the 3 newest released wines. They show amazingly rich fruit flavors, impressive balance with no upfront sweetness, and downright elegant. Mind blowing. It's remind me of the wines made by new generation of California winemakers who seek greater balance and purity in the wines. The wines we tasted were a '13 one-barrel Granache made from 155 year-old vines (4.5 stars), '13 The Relic Shiraz with 2% Viognier (5 stars), and '13 The Standish Shiraz (5 stars). I would never get tired drinking these wines.

Two Hands
A modern style winery that does not fail to impress. The entry level picture series is quite good (3.5 stars), while the top wines today were '13 Bella's Garden and '13 Sophie's Garden (both 4+ stars). Unfortunately the flagship Ares Shiraz pouring today was from a weak 2011 vintage, and not as good as the one I had in the past (3.5+ stars)

Artisans of Barossa
This is not a winery but it operates as a cellar doors for many smaller wineries. We taste 12 wines here and notable wines were Masenna Eleventh Hour Shiraz (4 stars), John Duval Entity Shiraz (3.5 stars), and a Rose (3 stars)

Whistler Farm Wine
Only try 2 wines here. 2013 Semillion Reserve is well-made and refreshing (2.5 stars) and the unreleased 2014 Shiraz is pack with sweet fruits but still on a raisin and bitter side (3 stars).

Greenock Creek
We went to a special tasting of back vintages wine including their top wines Roennfeldt Road Shiraz. These are very expensive wine at nearly A$200 a bottle but we were not quite impressed with this style of wine. Many of the wines were just out of balance (too sour) and many wine from 10-15 years ago feels just too old and tired. The best wines we taste were '08 Roennfeldt Road Shiraz (3.5+ stars), '12 Alice's Shiraz (4? Stars) and '12 Apricot Block Shiraz (4? Stars)

Hentley Farm
I only taste the entry level Shiraz here during lunch but it's a promising wine already (3.5 stars).

Elderton Wine
We start with two white wines here, a Chardonnay and a Rhone Blend. Neither wines impress us (2 stars). There is this feeling about white wine from Barossa that bother me; I have yet to find one that I like similar to ones from California Chardonnay let alone Burgundy. The region has much more room to improve. Onto the red, Elderton made quite a nice entry level Shiraz (3.5 stars) but their top wines failed to impress me today. Neil's Grand Tour is a light version of Shiraz (3 stars), Ashmead Cabernet from their oldest Cab vines (3 stars), and the flagship Command Shiraz that are one of my favorites in the past were less expressive and opulent in 2010 vintage (4 stars).

First Drop
We had 2012 "2%" Barossa 98% Shiraz and 2% Tempanillo the night before and quite like it so we decide to visit for more tasting. The 2% displayed a classic Shiraz profile of sweet red/black fruits, black olives, and a hint of leather but this is on a heavy side (4+ stars). The entry level Shiraz called Mother's Milk (4? stars) and Half & Half (3.5+ stars) were very nice wines.

Overall we really enjoyed our time in Barossa & McLaren Vale. We discover new outstanding wines we like as well as get to taste our old favorite ones. Food were great too. There are memorable moments at 1918, Appellation, and Hentley Farm. With Australia being not so far from Bangkok (8 hours), we are looking forward to returning to Barossa and McLaren Vale again!

https://www.facebook.com/danapat/posts/ ... 2429166566
danapat

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
โพสต์: 301
ลงทะเบียนเมื่อ: 07 ก.ย. 2011, 15:42

Re: My Australia Trip April 2015

โพสต์โดย danapat » 07 พ.ค. 2015, 23:33

D'Arenberg
รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

Mollydooker
รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ
แก้ไขล่าสุดโดย danapat เมื่อ 08 พ.ค. 2015, 00:24, แก้ไขแล้ว 1 ครั้ง
danapat

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

โพสต์โดย danapat » 08 พ.ค. 2015, 00:17

Whistler Wine:
รูปภาพ

Standish Wine
รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

Two Hands
รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ

รูปภาพ
danapat

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

โพสต์โดย The Sauternes » 12 พ.ค. 2015, 20:16

8-) 8-) 8-)
The Sauternes

โพสต์: 6242
ลงทะเบียนเมื่อ: 25 ก.ค. 2011, 10:21

โพสต์โดย Rnid » 23 มิ.ย. 2015, 23:26

ได้ไปจับต้นองุ่นในตำนานด้วยตัวเองเลยนะคะ คุณแดน
Thanks for sharing this trip experience ka.
ภาพประจำตัวสมาชิก
Rnid

โพสต์: 2536
ลงทะเบียนเมื่อ: 01 ส.ค. 2011, 15:37

โพสต์โดย Mawwan » 19 ก.ค. 2018, 13:22

I want to go to Australia very much. I think I will go to the beautiful city. In Australia, it is my dream. เที่ยวต่างประเทศ
Mawwan

โพสต์: 2
ลงทะเบียนเมื่อ: 19 ก.ค. 2018, 13:18

ย้อนกลับไปยัง Our Stories

ผู้ใช้งานขณะนี้

กำลังดูบอร์ดนี้: ไม่มีสมาชิก และ บุคคลทั่วไป 17 ท่าน

About us

www.wine17cel.com : The best wine forum in thailand. Webmaster by The Sauternes